Friday, March 4, 2011

Latte, Seven Seeds, Broadsheet, MFWF

First of all, I'd better explain that title one bite at a time, in reverse order.
  • MFWF is probably an abbreviation for a particularly offensive insult* about one's mother, but in this case it stands for Melbourne Food and Wine Festival.
  • Broadsheet is Broadsheet Café which, as part of the MFWF, is open for the next eleven days in Crossley St. It was set up by Broadsheet and will be operated by a rotating cast of Melbourne's heaviest coffee hitters.
  • Today, Seven Seeds are in charge at Broadsheet Café.
  • Latte means caffè latte – the drink that this post is about. I've been calling them lattes since I started this blog, and I really wish I had included the word caffè in there right from the start. For the sake of consistency above all else**, let's leave it as is***.
At Broadsheet Cafe, reading an article about Broadsheet Cafe in this month's Broadsheet.
I was kind of hoping to get one of the cups that explains the El Gordo blend on the side, but settled for one with my name instead. Not only was my name correct (a rare occurrence), but Seven Seeds have set the bar pretty high and the contents of the cup was pretty spectacular. A little squashed by the lid, but that's why I left it on for the photo. I've got to admit, I was a little surprised that they only serve in take away cups, but it's worth mentioning they are provided by Biopak. As far as single-use disposable cups go, that is probably as environmentally-friendly as they get. If you still think that's not good enough, well you probably already own a KeepCup anyway. I've just got to figure out how to attach mine to my bike*. Let's face it: bicycle commuting is much better for your health and the environment, but cars are still years ahead in the cupholder department.

I'm probably going to regret saying I'll try to come here every day, but what the hell. I'll try to come here every day. I've got plenty more to say about the interior and the food and how it's going to be hard to find something to chain your bike to within two blocks for the next eleven days, but I'd better wrap up this post here, so I don't run out of material over the next eleven days.

P.S. Mark Dapin has six followers. He deserves more.

* Suggestions welcome. 
** On the other hand, throwing consistency to the wind, I'm going to start captioning photos.
*** Another thing I'm going to leave as is is* the apostrophes in this post and subsequent posts. Sure, the dot-with-a-tail apostrophes look much nicer than the vertical-line apostrophes, but it won't prevent the intended meaning of the sentence** from getting across. I'll strive to use apostrophes in the right place and at the right time – it's just good manners*** – but relatively few people will be offended by using the wrong sort of apostrophe.

* I'll also leave that double "is" as is.
** Unless you interpret the vertical-line ones as denoting feet and inches.
*** Unlike these nested footnotes.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back, will hopefully run into you at the cafe. Will you be ordering a (caffè) latte each day as a benchmark by which you can judge the rotating cast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's good to be back. When I heard about Broadsheet I was thinking, "That's the kind of thing I'd blog about if I was still blogging. Maybe I should."
    The latte comparison is a good idea.
    Damn.
    It also means I'm stuck with lattes. Oh well. If I want something else I'll just have to get two.

    ReplyDelete