Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Modern Ballcock: Latte, home

Watched The Godfather part one last night.
It's still brilliant. I think I need to watch it again soon though. If you can't summarise the plot in dot-point form, you probably need to watch it again.
It surprised me that in the opening scene, the band at the wedding played the theme from the Godfather.
"Hey, do you guys know the theme to The Godfather?"
"What?"
"The Godfather."
"Yeah, he's over there. Get in fast. He can't refuse any request on his daughter's wedding day."
"How about you guys?"
"What?"
"Do you do requests?"
"It just so happens, my daughter's getting married today too."
"Why aren't you there?"
"Got a gig."
It also surprised me that, while planning to pull the ol' plant-the-gun-in-the-toilets move, they refer to the urinal with the chain-flush as "old-fashioned".
Is this historically accurate? I remember those being old-fashioned in the eighties. I'm sure they were old-fashioned when the movie was shot in the early seventies. But it was set in the mid-forties. Were chain-operated elevated cisterns really old-fashioned in the forties too? When were they considered in vogue?

Sorry folks. Don't get too excited. I started googling around, and soon realised that answering this question would require me to understand more than I care to about toilet technology, and use the word "ballcock" in a mature manner. Apologies. I may have to leave this one unsolved.

1 comment:

  1. Best use of the word "ballcock" in a Fry & Laurie sketch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN3CWlLoKiQ

    ReplyDelete