Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Flight, Foxy Brown, Northcote

The "flight" of coffee at Foxy Brown intrigued me when I saw it on the menu. Basically, they serve up some different beans in an espresso, a piccolo and a ristretto, for $8. Pretty reasonable really. Being able to taste different beans, and extractions, in quick succession is a great way to be able to compare them. The downside is that it involves drinking three coffees in less than twenty minutes. I wouldn't recommend trying it if you don't usually have more than three in one day. You know that feeling you get when you have had more caffeine than you are used to? I used to know that feeling. I don't get it very often these days. But the flight sure reminded me what it's like.

First up: the espresso, with Sumatran Mandheling. You are clear for takeoff.

Then the piccolo, with the Foxy blend (the waitress listed all the beans they use in the blend, but it was a lot harder to remember than just the word "Mandheling"). There's a light and a whistle for attracting attention.

Finally, the ristretto, also with the Foxy blend. Keep your seat upright and your tray-table in the locked position.

I've heard caffeine takes up to an hour to really kick in, so it wasn't until I got home that it all added up and I had finally reached a cruising altitude of 39,000 feet and was free to move about the cabin.

3 comments:

  1. Wow that looks awesome. Been hearing lots about this Foxy Brown lately. Three coffees in quick succession (though not within 20mins) is the story of my mornings these days - not sure if chasing the caffeine high is fun or just agonising but heck, this would be too good to miss :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the flight today actually. A colleague told me about the place a month or so ago, and finally made it down. Really good experience (akin to ordering a paddle of beer at a microbrewery).

    The place really has potential. Will definitely go back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're also doing the flight thing now at Market Lane.

    ReplyDelete