Thursday, June 17, 2010

First Time Down Under: Latte, home

Since A Tribe Called Quest announced their first-ever tour of Australia a few weeks ago, I haven't been able to go on Facebook without at least three people in my news feed being excited about it.
It's funny, I don't think anybody has bothered asking why they never toured here before. People forget that pretty quickly when confronted with "First Australian Tour Ever!" news.
But they've good reason to be excited. Tribe haven't performed much in the last 12 years, and now they're coming here. Hmm. Actually, no, the tail-end of a 12-year hiatus sounds like a terrible time for them to tour here for the first time ever. But what the hell, it'll be awesome.

I think don't think it would be going too far to use the word "timeless" here.
It's worth mentioning, however, that they do seem to be responsible for the whole double-bass-in-hip-hop thing, and as such a great deal of suffering around the world.
"Wow, Ron Carter's doing it, I guess that makes it okay! I'm gonna do that too. We don't need an MC when we've got really long horn solos! Emceeing, sax solos, same thing."
Etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment