Thursday, December 3, 2009

Espresso, Espressolab, Quebec

"What time are you open until?"
"10 o'clock."
"Yesss!" (accompanied by Lleyton Hewitt-style victory gesture)

We ducked in next door for a pho first, had trouble pronouncing French approximations of Vietnamese words for "soup", then came back to Espressolab.
At first, I hoped an "espresso lab" would look a bit like this:


But no, it was more like a huge empty café, tastefully decorated though. You know, furniture made of wood, concrete benches. Kind of minimal. It's what Starbucks could look like if they ever reconsider their patented "the 90s just vomited into a green bucket" look.
The lack of customers added to the minimalism too, though I found out they hadn't been open for long.
Beans from 49th Parallel. It's good to see that stuff is making it out this far east.
My espresso was pretty happening. Danny said his latte was a bit on the weak side, though the giant cup may have something to do with that.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Ryan,

    I dont know if you hate us frenchies but;
    Its actually spelled Québec and Montréal in the official language, yes yes, just like you've spelt café 5 minutes ago <.<;;

    okay maybe im the wrong person to tell you how to spell stuff but knowing that youre such a grammar nazie i thought it almost seemed deliberate of you not to put those accents (which somehow p*ss me off a bit)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about that. I've lived my whole life ignoring the accents because I never know how to type them on my normal-ass keyboard. But I realised recently how easy it is to do on a Mac: option-e. Or option-anything really to type "interesting" characters. Now I can write about El Niño, cafés, Mötley Crüe, français, and even Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen. I'm slowly correcting my internal dictionary. Haven't gotten up to Montréal and Québec yet.

    ReplyDelete