Friday, October 23, 2009

Manitoba vs Manitoba: Aeropress, home

I walked past and thought, "Wow, that Caribou album really looks like Manitoba's first album."
Upon rifling through the Caribou section, "WOW, that other Caribou album really looks like Manitoba's SECOND album!"
I soon realised a trend was developing. "Er, actually, they have the same names and track listing too. Right. So when did Manitoba change his name to Caribou?"

Wikipedia stepped out of the shadows and said, "A few years ago! Around about the time he got threatened with legal action!"
I masked my surprise (at being ambushed by a website, in public no less) with more questions.
"By who?"
"Richard Manitoba."
"Who is that?"
"The current lead singer of the MC5."
"But Wikipedia, how do you know that for sure?"
"Oh, some people told me. That's as good as fact, as far as I'm concerned."
"But that's so retarded! Just because a guy in Canada is using your surname as his stage name, you shouldn't go around suing them! That's like John Smith suing The Smiths!"
"HEY! Stop quoting me without citing me as a reference!"
"Oh shit, sorry.1 Is that better?"
"That's more like it."
"Richard Manitoba is still a Dick though."
"I know. Nominative determinism at its finest, etc. But what can you do?"
"Er, I dunno, start a petition?"
"A petition to convince whom to do what, exactly?"
"To get the Province of Manitoba to sue Richard Manitoba for stealing its name?"
"Great idea. Do it!"
"Nah, it's much easier to just edit Wikipedia to say it already happened, then cite my own blog as a reference, thus creating an impenetrable citation loop that can only be broken by..."
"THWAP."

That's when Wikipedia knocked me out cold. I guess I had it coming. As in most situations, I went home and got out the Aeropress.

1. Source: Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment