Friday, October 16, 2009

Latte, home

I'm starting to become a pretty boring person to follow on Twitter. Here's a sample of just some of the nuggets of solid gold wisdom I've been dispensing in 140-byte bites:

There are two reasons for this:
  1. I removed Twitter from my phone, and
  2. I removed the Twitter widget (or "Twidget") from my dashboard (on my Mac - I didn't have Twitter in my car, if that's what you were thinking).
These two were directly connected to the sense of relief I felt when I removed Facebook from my phone. These are the kind of things I decided I didn't want access to absolutely all the time. So it's put a cork in my tweet output. But I've got a feeling that's how it's going to stay. It's just another step towards the completion of the technologectomy phase of Operation Return to Normal Life.
A year ago I really thought being able to get on the internet in seconds no matter where you are was something to aspire to. And then I got the iPhone. And it was fun for a while. But I used to read books. I used to wait at the tram stop without filling that waiting time with social networking. I used to be able to say I had never used the phrase, "Yeah I know, I saw your news feed." in conversation. I used to actually need to ask people, "What have you been up to today?"

(You may note that I'm still blogging three times a day. I'm working on that. Any less than that requires drinking less coffee, or breaking/amending the rules of this blog. I'll get to that soon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment