Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Espresso, St Ali, South Melbourne

Some time between now and the last time I used the West Gate Bridge, they moved the lanes around. Coming over from Flinders St and Docklands and turning right onto the West Gate Fwy is a lot easier now that the lanes are labelled much earlier. But coming back to the city from the wesside is a bit confusing. I'm not sure if it's still a work in progress, but you need to plan REALLY far ahead if you want to get off at that Lorimer St/South Wharf exit. I felt like I was in the appropriate lane after following the signs, and then all of a sudden I noticed there was another lane to my left, whose cars were all peeling off to South Wharf while I kept going straight ahead. There wasn't much I could do other than get off at Kings Way, the end of which is a left-turn only situation. It's as though that whole segment of road has been redesigned by someone who wants a lot of traffic to be directed to South Melbourne. If you want to go north of the city, you still might accidentally go south first. That's what happened to me today. But as I did a U-turn on Kings Way (or is that "King's Way"(or "Kings' Way"?)?) I realised that the West Gate had spat me out pretty close to St Ali. Thank you, gods of traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment