Monday, September 7, 2009

Hot Can Coffee

Cans of coffee from 7-Eleven. It was the only thing that kept me awake in Tokyo when I was there three (crikey, was it really three?) years ago.
"So, they're cold?!"
That was the common reaction from people when I told them that's what my coffee experience was like. This was long before I started the coffee blog, so it's hard to keep track of how many I had, or if I had anything else. But it's funny that people were more surprised that it was cold, than it was in a can, or that it was from 7-Eleven.
Would they have treated a hot can of coffee with as much suspicion? I never found out, as I never bothered to ask whether they serve the cans hot. I speak almost zero Japanese. That could be what held me back.
So imagine my surprise when, right here in Melbourne, I saw this through the window of a convenience store:

HOT CANS. In a pie warmer. WOW.
They also seemed to have a decent selection. I've tried various Asian grocery dudes around Melbourne, but this is the first place that stocks a brand I remember from Tokyo. It was getting pretty far past coffee o'clock, but I had to get one. They had the same cans available in the fridge, but since I was there, I knew I had to get one served hot.
This is where it gets difficult: a hot can is hard to pick up at first.



I went for Boss Coffee Rainbow Mountain Blend. It sounds more like it was grown on the slopes of a Mario Kart 64 track, than in real life, but I assume the word "Guatamalan" was featured prominently on the other side for good reason.
It fits somewhere low in the northeast quadrant of the Canned Coffee Taste Compass.
If you want to try the finger-burning logic-defying experience that is hot coffee in a can, it's can be found on La Trobe St, opposite Melbourne Central, somewhere between the Hungry Jack's on the corner and the imaginatively-named Cranbourne Music Centre.

(Yes, I do realise it's a Melbourne branch of the Cranbourne Music Centre in Cranbourne. But if you didn't know that, and you knew where Cranbourne was, you'd be confused. But Melbourne's full of this stuff. Dandenong Discount Computer Centre had a store in Richmond for years before they changed their name. Toorak College is in Mt Eliza. Padua College takes it to a new level though: Mornington is pretty far from Padua.)

1 comment:

  1. Most vending machines in Japan have a "hot" section and a "cold" section.. I once got a hot vitamin drink that was like drinking hot lucozade... *gag* The coffee is bearable, considerably better than most cafes over there.

    ReplyDelete