Friday, September 25, 2009

Espresso, Pelican, St Kilda

A word of advice for anyone trying to take an iPhone photo of coffee in a very dimly-lit restaurant, the backlight from a second phone can really shed some light on the subject.


So, here we are again back at Pelican.
Remember the Pelican Effect? That taste in the coffee at Pelican that I wasn't sure if I liked or disliked, but couldn't identify what it was anyway? Well, we've got some guest noses on the panel tonight. My mum and my sister. They've been in the jungles of Sydney tasting pinot all week. Let's see what they thought:

Mum: "Hmm."
JMo: "Is it a nut?"
Mum: "No."
JMo: "Ah."
Mum: "It tastes like mud."
Ryan: "Dirt?"
Mum: "No. Mud. But not in a bad way."
JMo: "And I'm getting smoke. Smoke. Burning....cedar."

There you have it folks. Smoky woody mud. That's what the coffee here tastes, quite consistently, like. The beans are Romcaffé. I'll have to check them out elsewhere and see if it's muddy across the board.

I cannot stress this enough though: mud is not a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment