Thursday, September 24, 2009

Espresso, Barney Allen's, St Kilda

I kind of regret that "banana ice cream on a stick" call I made last week. This place is great. The kind of red-walled frame-lined vaguely Parisian feeling room that makes you want to order another drink and sit around some more. The douchebag set were out in full force, but hey, it's St Kilda. The food looks great too, other than the Barney Allen burger that I ordered. Let me get this straight: it was a great burger. I expected the fries to be a little more adventurous, but all in all it was excellent. But it was too big. I guess I'm not the right person to be ordering an Iain Hewitson-spec burger. He looks like he could eat a whole lot more food than me. Aside from that, I think manageability is disproportionate to size in the realm of handheld foods, and this one tipped the scales way past the point of practicality. A burger is built in layers, and the only way to experience them all at once is biting in from the side. But if it's too big to bite and too unwieldy to pick up, all you're left with is cutlery, and notably CSI-Miamian one-layer-at-a-time method. And who wants to eat the top half of a bun with relish smeared on it? That relish is better used stuck to everything else in the burger. I've since heard that ordering two mini burgers is a better way to go if you want to pick something up and eat it.

The coffee was great. Staff seemed trained within tolerances that won't let a bad espresso slip through.
At the other end of the bar: Daniel McPherson. Kudos. He's probably the only person who's been on both Neighbours and The Bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment