Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Aeropress, home

Aeropress users: after stirring, do you let it sit there for a while before pressing?
I did that (by accident - had to run to the other end of the house) today, and I don't think it was as good.

In the news today: coffee bloggers aren't posting frequently enough!

(Ryan raises an eyebrow. The eyebrow says, "Seriously, if Ryan starts posting more frequently it can only mean one thing: he's drinking more coffee. I'm gonna start twitching in protest if he does.")

4 comments:

  1. I ground some beans for aeropress way too fine the other day... was a massive failure. First press was a 4 cup attempt, which resulted in an explosion of muddy grounds/water all over the place. so yeah, don't do that either

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ryan,
    Longer wet time does increase bitterness. The normally short wet time of AeroPress is the reason for its smooth flavor.

    Hi Deviant,
    The way to do it is to press very gently and wait patiently for the brew to flow completely through. It could take several minutes with 4 find-ground scoops. If you press hard it compacts the puck and blocks the flow.

    Best regards,
    Alan Adler - AeroPress Inventor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan! Thanks for dropping by. I'm a huge fan of the Aeropress, as you can probably tell from the 43 posts I've written about it.
    Thanks for the comments about wet time too. If the doorbell rings while I'm Aeropressing, I'll just ignore it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Alan, I have also found that a drip coffee style grind works better than a turkish coffee style grind.

    keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete