Sunday, August 2, 2009

Latte, Dench, Fitzroy North

Most people wonder walking past think it's a little strange that somebody named a bakery after Dame Judy Dench, but a lot of them know it's not important, because the bread - and other baked goods - are incredible. The bread is so good that people would still come here if it was called Craploaf, or something. But I've never tried the coffee. For that I usually head to North Island. That's the one that's devoid signage immediately to the right of Dench.

North Island's coffee is good. Really, really good. And there usually isn't much of a queue, so it makes sense to go there. Dench have coffee too, but it's always extremely busy in there, which makes me think my order will be placed in a queue behind 30,000 others, and so going next door for coffee seems to make sense. Today, somehow, is the first day I've questioned that logic. One queue must be better than two, so I ordered coffee and bread.


You can't learn much from that photo. You probably wouldn't know that I was holding a loaf of bread in my arm pit if I didn't tell you. I can also choose whether or not to tell you this coffee tasted bitter, watery, not like coffee and not like something I want to drink a whole cup of. I've heard otherwise, but based on today's experience I wouldn't recommend this as a coffee destination. I can only judge from my own experience, and I realise the experience of one takeaway coffee on a Sunday morning is a bit dangerous: it may not be representative of what usually gets served here. But at the end of the day, as I don't give scores or ratings, all I can do is answer the question, "Would I order a coffee here again?" to which I would answer a decisive "no". Ultimately, that's the question all their customers will be asking themselves too. I just happen to be writing my answer down in a very googlable place.

I may seem to be harping on about this, but I guess I'm trying to figure out exactly where I stand on the honest-comments-versus-not-pissing-off-cafe-staff issue (check out the comments on this post for an extreme example of staff flaming). Most of that last paragraph can probably be reused as a disclaimer. Actually, that's probably a good idea.

1 comment:

  1. The cafe that was the centre of the staff flameout seems to have made its peace with the local secondary school.
    Really enjoy your reviews.

    ReplyDelete