Monday, July 6, 2009

Flat White, Square Mile, Bethnal Green, London



All of the amazing coffee I've had in London has had one thing in common: the beans come from Square Mile. This wasn't by accident though. I was working closely with a list of Square Mile-using cafes during my travels, with all the field research leading to this: a visit to ground zero itself. It isn't a place you can really just visit - the website makes the "appointments only" thing pretty clear - but I was here for a reason. An interview with co-founder, and 2007 WBC Champion, James Hoffmann. Square Mile has been around for almost a year, and in that time gained a loyal following while turning all sorts of conceptions about coffee in London on their collective heads. I felt like I had a golden, caffeinated ticket. After the initial awkwardness surrounding my impressive-looking-interview-recording-device having flat batteries, it all went smoothly. This is one of the few places I've taken a photo of a cup of coffee and nobody thought it was out of the ordinary. But I'll leave the rest of the story for later. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment