Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Macchiato, Lombard's, Petworth, England

The tour of places-in-small-villages-that-list-macchiato-on-their-menu continues. I drove through Petworth on the way to Winchester last year, and thought it looked like it should house some decent coffee, but there was no parking to be had, or I didn't look hard enough. So today, on the way to Portsmouth for the ferry to the Isle of Wight, I stopped. There were two cafes to choose from, but the other one listed chocolate before any coffee, so I went to Lombard's.

The cup was enormous, there was shloads of froth, and there was a lingering after taste, but in a bad way. On the plus side, the toasted tea-cake (which in England isn't like what your mum or your gran makes, it's more like raisin toast) was excellent.

It's clear that just because a cafe lists macchiato on the menu doesn't mean they make it the way I like it.

I'm worried about what the coffee will be like here on the Isle of Wight, based solely on the cup of tea I had earlier. I know this comment is better suited to looseleaflea's blog, but what the hell. I ordered an earl grey tea and was given a cup and saucer with a stringless teabag chucked in it. Hmmm. What's the equivalent to that in the coffee world?

3 comments:

  1. That's definitely the first use of the word "shloads" on the blog!
    The stringless teabag: was it a round one, a tea bag-shaped one, or one of those pyramidular ones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A square one. I'm so sick of these stringless teabags! This morning, with my breakfast at this b&b, I was given a pot of tea for one with TWO stringless teabags (round ones). These English people think they know about tea. Buy some tea leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, didn't they totally take over the world for tea? What's with the bags?
    I hear they used to be hand-sewed though, back in the good ol' non-industrialized days.

    ReplyDelete