Saturday, April 11, 2009

Long Black, home

The water that I top up a short black with to make it into a long black comes from the steam wand, and is usually pretty hot. I tend to dilute it with a bit of cold water before it gets added to the short black, to arrive finally at roughly drinking temperature. I sometimes add too much cold. Today was one of those days. I drank it at a rate at which one would drink a Jagerbomb.

A lot of people on the internet are getting excited about the iPhone 3.0 software. It won't be released for a while, but an early version has been released to developers. Stephen Fry's solution was to just sign up as a developer for $99 and download it if you REALLY can't wait for the official release date. People doing just that have fueled countless "Look at all the new features!" articles. Video recording isn't something I'll use very often (although it may come in handy on the blog). Neither is the find-your-iPhone feature: I don't plan on losing my phone. What I'm really excited about is tethering.

Tethering is, just briefly, getting your computer/laptop/Wii/fridge/etc on the internet via your mobile phone's data services. A few years ago, people sacrificed download speed and paid through the nose for the convenience of getting online anywhere. These days it's much faster and cheaper: my internet access at home comes in over the 3G network (I wouldn't recommend it: it's complete shite compared to a good ol' copper wire). The word "tethering " also always reminds me of Ralph on The Simpsons in the pool after he signed up for Tethered Swimming. "I don't feel right!" he said, as he struggled to swim away from the ladder but was held back by the tether. Unfortunately, this is also how the mobile phone carriers feel. For some reason, they don't like the idea of people using their phone data allowance for anything other than their phone.

I don't at all see why. I routinely go WAY over my data allowance at home, but no matter how hard I try I can't get ANYWHERE near my 700 meg per month on the iPhone. If I used it with tethering, I would use a lot more data. If I went over my limit, Optus could charge me accordingly. Where's the downside for them? Why does technology that will undoubtedly lead to more excess data charges not "feel right"?

No comments:

Post a Comment