Friday, April 17, 2009

Latte, home

Very nice, I think this is the latte I've been the most happy with since I got the machine. Getting somewhere now. I had to use The Force a bit with the temperature surfing, but I liked the result. It was just what I needed after my day of early-plane-flight-induced-narcolepsy. That's the last of the Allpress beans before I load up the grinder with the stuff I got from First Pour the other day. Wish me luck.

I've been looking around for more information about the monkey-picked coffee. As with most other coffee-related things, the caffeinated entity known only as Instaurator (among other things, author of the excellent Espresso Quest book that I'm reading at the moment) has all the answers. Instaurator's blog falls under the amazing but not updated yet this year category, but one of the topics that was covered last year was Kopi Luwak and Monkey Parchment. Here's one of my favourite bits:

In case of Civet cats the fruits pass through the digestive tract and hence stay in the digestive tract for more than 24 hours under going complex biochemical treatment under high temperature and highly acidic condition, before being excreted.

Yes. The Kopi Luwak beans are picked and eaten and even shat by civet cats! Amazing. I cannot stress enough that I am not making this up. When I read about this on Instaurator's blog I realised I'd seen the words kopi and luwak a hell of a lot on the Cafe Grendel blog. At the time I didn't know that Kopi Luwak was, but I should have known from all the puns Grendel couldn't help but include in every entry:

"All things must pass... And thus it is with the Kopi Luwak – both literally and figuratively."

No comments:

Post a Comment