Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Espresso, home

Yesterday I referred to the Frankston Shuffle. I told you to look for it on YouTube. I did the same. I didn't find much. If you were as curious as I'd hoped, you wouldn't have found much either. But what I was hoping to find was the following video, which I only found because it was in the top ten most-viewed videos on YouTube for a while. Yeah, really. Over 8 million views.

It's the Melbourne Shuffle.
Surely when Jethro Tull sang, "In the shuffling madness," in 1971, it was because they had just travelled forward in time, got on Youtube, and watched that video about 7 million times.
But this got my curiosity going: what exactly is the Frankston Shuffle, and what does it have in common, or rather not in common, with its Melbourne counterpart 38km around the bay?
As usual, the extent of my research is Wikipedia. The word "Frankston" is not even mentioned in the Melbourne Shuffle article.
Other than that, I've already tainted my own research: Google says there are 192 documents mentioning the Frankston Shuffle, and unfortunately number 10 is the one I wrote yesterday.
Don't dig too deep on YouTube with the words "frankston" and "shuffle" though. Pretty soon you'll find dudes at Frankston High School shuffling on free dress day. Unless things have changed since I was there, there's a Footloose-style rule that bans any kind of shuffle on the school grounds.
Free Dress Day being the only exception. Cast off your bumblebee jumper, stick some gaffa to your shoes, get to it, and hope somebody videos it for YouTube before the bell rings and they play a few tracks from The Swing over the PA before you have to get your arse to the Senior Campus for Science to watch Mr Stuchbury re-open that program everytime the screensaver comes on because he doesn't realise it's still open in the background and pretty soon there's 15 instances going and then his Toshiba product-placement laptop melts under the stress and runs down the sink.
Or that could be because somebody lit one of the gas taps.

3 comments:

  1. Was it you that lit all the gas taps? And by gas taps do you mean the ones used for bunsen burners? If so, how could that cause something to melt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the heat.
    "Do not light the gas taps" was one of the few rules of the science rooms. I never would have thought of it otherwise. And we always dreamed of just how big a flame it would make...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just hate the temptation that rules give?

    ReplyDelete