Saturday, March 7, 2009

Short Mac, Aubergine, Fremantle

I just saw a kid pawing at a friand on a plate on the counter.. He could reach it from the ground. I'm the only one who noticed. I wonder how often this sort of thing happens. The plate was soon moved and the friand discarded.
Last time I was here there was a Darth Vader Mr Potato Head displayed with prominence on the shelves over the coffee machine. There's no sign of it today. Maybe this place has new owners too.
My coffee just came out, and just feeling the weight of it in my hand I remembered that I have no idea what the word "macchiato" means in this town. What I have here is more like a 3/4 latte. That's okay, it's pretty much exactly what I feel like drinking right now. And there's no reason to complain. If you order a scallop at a fish and chip shop in New South Wales they'll give you what Victorians call a potato cake; for them the word "scallop" belongs only to seafood. So if I order a short macchiato in Fremantle there is no reason why they would, or should, consider where I'm from and what I think a short mac looks like.
Let's not even get started on the names of beer glass sizes.

EDIT: I asked Perth locals about this. They agree with me about what a short mac is. They assure me that it must be "a Fremantle thing".

2 comments:

  1. However, last time I was in Perth, I ordered a macchiato in a cafe in central Perth. What came out was an extremely long and weak latte in a milkshake glass. Hence, the DIY macchiato.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. Interesting. I guess the milkshake glass could happen any time, any where. Be on the lookout...

    ReplyDelete