Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Latte, home

Some time in January, Beau told me his new year's resolution: to learn all the lyrics to Ms Jackson by Outkast. Ambitious. There's a lot of words in there. Even with the lyrics in front of you, it's hard to fit them all in. Watch this one, the video quality is a bit crap, but click on "more info" and all the lyrics are there. Good luck with the first verse. Anyway, I thought of my new year's resolution lyrics challenge - in the first week of March - Tom's Diner by Suzanne Vega.

That's not the version I remember from the radio when I was a kid, ie the "der der der der..." hook and all of the instruments are missing, but the verses are all there, and that's what is going to be hard to memorise. It is nowhere near as rhythmically challenging as Ms Jackson, but the inane meter is way off the dial on this one. Since I started listening to this song again, I've found most of my thoughts are in Suzanne Vega's voice, singing her melody. It's addictive. For example:

I am sitting at the keyboard
I am writing 'bout the coffee
I am running out of ideas
So I go turn the TV on
And it shows a bunch of bushfires
That are happening in the country
And it starts to get me down and so
I reach for the remote


See? It makes everything mundane seem slightly more interesting. Just like Twitter*. This song is about some shit that happened in a diner that just so happens to rhyme, and it will be near impossible to remember the lyrics because they could be, well, anything really. I'll try to do one verse per week. That's achievable. Then I'll move onto the rhyming 20th century history lesson tour-de-force that is Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire...

* That's not this song's only social networking link - she sang it in Second Life once. I couldn't in good conscience post a link to the Youtube video, find it yourself if you're into that sort of thing.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avCeJnw9WbQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is seriously a nice song.. I saw the video too...

    ReplyDelete