Friday, March 13, 2009

Latte, Cafe Dockside, Brisbane

Okay, Drew just pretty much blew my mind when he demonstrated the Trachtenberg System of mental arithmetic, founded by Jakow Trachtenberg during his incarceration in a concentration camp in WWII.  I can't really demonstrate it in blog format, there are books on the subject that do a much better job.  But failing that, Wikipedia has a pretty good summary.

From the it's-a-small-world-with-not-many-names-for-people department, I just found a guy on Wordpress whose name is also Ryan M who is also into blogging and coffee and speedcubing and joking about referring to himself in the third person in his "About" page.  He's also a nurse, so I guess that's where the similarity ends.  Mind you, he is REALLY into speedcubing.  He has posted videos.

While we're on the subject of doing nerdy things really fast, here's the world champion freehand circle drawer.  The first minute of the 1m18s video are just him warming up for the circle, but trust me: it's worth watching until the end.  That's a freehand circle.


5 comments:

  1. What the hell!?! That guy is like a human compass!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks!

    It's cool to know that someone somewhat similar to me exists! lol.

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was quick!
    Thanks for writing, Ryan. Good luck with the cubing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Joannah

    http://myscones.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Joannah

    http://myscones.com/

    ReplyDelete