Friday, August 29, 2008

Long Black, home

It's proving hard to snap out of this sleeping-in thing.  I don't want to get up at 6:00 or anything like that.  8:00 is good enough.  That leaves four hours before midday.  I can work with that.  However, I didn't get home until 2:00 last night.  That's incompatible with early rising.  I guess the only solution is a siesta.  That's something Spain really got right.  You can stay out late, get up early and see the sun rise before work, bugger off home after lunch, and all the shops are open late.  Sadly, the siesta lifestyle doesn't work in a non-siesta-adhering country.
"So, Johnson, I got your email.  You want to go home for four hours in the middle of the day?"
"Yeah.  For a siesta."
"Why?"
"I feel like I'm missing out on the best part of the night.  Not just that, but I have to be at work during those boring doldrums between lunch and sundown."
"You mean the afternoon?  That's half of the day."
"I know.  It sucks.  I'd rather go get some sleep so I can do fun stuff at night."
"So you want to go home after lunch?"
"That's right."
"Couldn't you just stay at work instead, and go home at the end of the day?"
"Yes.  Of course I could.  I currently do that every day."
"Excellent.  I'm glad we had this discussion.  Good day."

No comments:

Post a Comment