Sunday, July 20, 2008

QANTAS coffee, Sydney to Melbourne

"Coffee?"
I sat bolt upright and held out my cup. My girlfriend couldn't help but notice that I was excited.
"Ah, is their coffee good?"
"Not really. But I love it."

Ahh. And I do love it. It usually means I'm almost back in Melbourne whenever I drink QANTAS coffee. We've been holidaying all over the world for the last seven weeks. It's the kind of thing I wish I could do all the time, but sadly not possible unless I can convince somebody to pay me to drink coffee all over the world and occasionally write about it. It sure would make the blog interesting and a little less Melbourne-centric. That may attract (or rather, not detract) some Sydney readers, but hey they're too busy living it up in Sydney which is, according to the Mastercard ad I saw at the airport, priceless!
That has got to be the least imaginative Mastercard ad I have ever seen. I don't know who let that one through. The tradition of the Mastercard "priceless" ads is that they hit you a few times before KNOCKING YOU OUT with the "priceless" line. There are some things that money can't buy. For everything else, there's Mastercard." That is what these ads are all about. You can't just say, "Living it up in Sydney: priceless" and leave it at that. If it really was priceless, nobody would be doing it, especially not with a Mastercard. The ad should maybe go something more like this:
(forgive the stereotype, please)
  • Sneaky Sound System CD: $25.00
  • something else...
  • something else...
  • Smug grin that says you know you're living it up more than anyone else in the country: PRICELESS
Okay, sorry, I couldn't really come up with a Sydney stereotype on the spot. I guess I don't really know why Sydney and Melbourne don't get along. I guess it's possible that we actually agree on everything.

Except, of course, Sneaky Sound System.

Welcome back to the blog, we're back on daily coffee detail again. I'll gradually post all the coffee I took photos of overseas. Watch the space below, the one between June 4 and today.

No comments:

Post a Comment